Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Day of Doom

Quite honestly, until about five minutes ago, I had no idea what to write about.
That is until I found the answer (to many things) on Wikipedia.

A favorite book of mine put Thursdays in a more dry/morbid context than I like;
In The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, the character Aurthur Dent says "This must be Thursday. I never could get the hang of Thursdays". A few minutes later the planet Earth is destroyed.

Thursdays have always be something of a queer day for me. So close to the weekend, but you still have Friday to deal with. Also, a lot extracurricular activities (like piano for me) are scheduled on Thursdays. Weird, huh?

Well, perhaps Thursday's etymology and development in other languages will explain it's weirdness.

Old English- Þunresdæg
Latin- iovis Dies
German- donnerstag
French- jeudi
Romanian- joi
Catalan- dijous
Spanish- jueves
Italian- giovedì
Scandinavian- torsdag
Dutch- donderdag
Sanskrit- guru
Urdu- jumeraate

(Bet you didn't know more than three of those words until now!)

So what have we learned from comparing different languages here? There seem to be two different roots from with Thursday has sprung forth- the Latin (Jove) and Sanskrit (Guru). We all know, well at least those of us who took AP Human Geography that the Indo-European trunk has a few branches- two of which are Sanskrit and Latin. Why the difference? I suspect conspiracy. You see, it's all a part of the master plan of your bosses, teachers, CEO s, managers, and yes- even your parents. Anybody who is on top of you is in on the conspiracy. So what is the conspiracy? Well, remember how I said that "Thursdays were queer" and had that "so-close-to-the-weekend-yet-so-far" mentality? Well there you go. They're trying to trip us up! By disorientating us and unbalancing us, they hope to pin our mistakes on us and make us work more! IT'S ALL A CONSPIRACY!!!

Okay, Okay- I know- I wasted a good 2 and a half minutes of your time there, but hey- I think I was onto something! You never know! More important on any Thursday, at least from what I've figured out, is to "Carpe Diem" ("Seize the Day"). Don't sit there idly and wait for the weekend to come to you- go out and get it yourself! For example- I had a lovely time with a friend of mine today- even though I have two big exams tomorrow! Worth it? YES!

So Carpe Diem, everyone- or at least what's left of it!

Jonathan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm really enjoying this blog, all of the posts so far have been really good and yours is no exception. Thanks for the little mention, I know I begged for it, but still.

http://thepowerbloggers.hostingtribe.com/google90989bed784256d0.html