Saturday, July 11, 2009

Harry Potter in Decline...

Thank you to those who sent me a "happy birthday" on Facebook. 83 notifications... a new record!

I'm going to see Harry Potter the 6th movie on Saturday and I feel indifferent about it. People gave me weird looks when I told them this. Personally, I think the Harry Potter books died out as Rowling kept publishing more and more books. It died around the fifth book. The movies died out even faster. Lets start with the books ^_^

The first book was amazing. Everything was about wonderful magic and how a fortunate boy escaped the clutches of a dangerous murderer. It kept me captivated as I learned about Quidditch and many forms of magic; not to mention an unexpected plot twist in the end. The second book was of equal merit and introduced the teenage Voldemort. I thought what Rowling did was clever with the heir to Slytherin and whatnot (trying not to spoil anything >.<). Ok, you know what? Let's skip to the fifth book. This is where Harry Potter lost his charm. He hits puberty at the age of fifteen and starts going ballistic. He yells his head off at everyone, he falls in love, he goes emo, and Rowling decided that it was time to kill off someone that would be missed. At the end of the book, I was sorely dissappointed but decided, "Hey! Maybe Rowling will redeem herself in the next book." When I picked up the sixth book, I was semi-captivated. I have to admit that the plot was okay but it was steering the reader all over the place. Rather than focusing on You-Know-Who, it started going towards Who-Loves-Who. She loves him who loves her who loves him who loves her but also loves that other girl I mentioned, blah blah blah. It's like girl gossip. And to finish it all off, Rowling decided to kill off another person who would have been missed. The seventh book just left me confuzzled (Yes I said confuzzled. Confused is not a strong enough word). Sure, the book answered some questions, but it confuzzled me all the more with more and more questions. At the end, it all fit together but I didn't like the way it turned out. It could have been executed a little better in my opinion.

The movies died out during the third movie. I think that's when they got the new director. It definitely didn't have the same feel. When I left the theater, I felt somewhat satisfied. The fourth was a put down. The new Dumbledore was to angry and shouty which contradicted the calm and collected Dumbledore from the book. The movie progressed a little fast and skipped over important parts. Dobby didn't make an appearance at all and was replaced by other people to fill in the plot hole. The fourth movie hopped and skipped all over the place. Finally, you already know I hate the fifth book, so imagine my reaction to the movie. It moved through waaay too fast... enough said.

Rant rant rant. I think I'm done ranting now. I would have written something better if I was motivated enough... but I'm too busy playing my new electric acoustic guitar =D

-June

2 comments:

Ryan said...

Couldn't agree more!!!

lilystar said...

Glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. Though I didn't mind the sixth and seventh too much; I absolutely HATED the third though..

http://thepowerbloggers.hostingtribe.com/google90989bed784256d0.html