Saturday, September 27, 2008

Legally Blonde and other things on my mind

Hello there, blue powerblogger here!

So I just finished watching one of my favorite movies of all time, Legally Blonde. I don't just love the movie because of its humorous quotes or the quirky characters, but I am really inspired by the message that it sends the audience: Nothing is impossible if you try hard enough.

We see this theme with our young sorority girl, Elle Woods, who decides to enroll in Harvard Law. She defies all stereotypes and expectations as she continues to move up in her education and career. She basically tells all people (girls, in particular) that we can be anyone we want to be and we can do anything we want to do, as long as we have faith in ourselves.

This is especially applicable in my life.

I've always been really short and skinny, so people don't think I am capable of many things. For instance, I am constantly asked if I need help reaching things which are totally within arms length or if I need help carrying things. And they think I suck at all athletics, especially ultimate frisbee (thanks, Sam) and that I am generally weak and frail. But I am not! Nobody seems to believe me! This has caused me to overachieve at everything in life, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it can be a bit taxing at times. People just don't believe in me. I mean, my family is supportive, but my peers aren't.

I have also chosen career paths which are out of the norm for a person like me. Initally, I had wanted to be a singer. I loved the fact that my shortness worked to my advantage, that it added to the WOW! factor. People enjoyed hearing such a loud, powerful voice from such a tiny person. This helped me really accept my height and come to see it as a trait that made me unique. My current career choice is to be an architect, which defies many social and gender boundaries. Normally, engineers are nerdy males with extensive knowledge of computers, math, and/or Star Trekk. I know this from personal experience. Engineers are rarely semi-popular girls who are obsessed with clothes, boys, and cupcakes, like me. But I love the fact that I am a minority in engineering. I love the fact that there are only five girls in my engineering class of thirty-three people, and I am still one of the best students. I love the fact that if any of my classmates need help, they know to ask me. It gives me a sense of female empowerment, and a sense of accomplishment. Plus, I will always be surrounded by plenty of intelligent guys in the engineering career.

So I guess the moral of the story is that you can do the impossible if you set your mind to it.

It's the way I live my life.

That's all for now,
-Caroline

No comments:

http://thepowerbloggers.hostingtribe.com/google90989bed784256d0.html