Saturday, July 19, 2008

Cell Phones and Social Life

Hello people! I'm back and more importantly, the nationals people are back. I would like to say welcome back! And thank you for all those happy birthdays =) Now as for my post, I would like to stress an issue: cell phones.

I was practicing tennis on the wall for a good half hour so I decided to take a small break. A lady and her kids were playing in a nearby playground. As I watched them play, I noticed the lady had a cell phone glued to her ear. She was laughing and calling the person "honey" and "sweety" so I assumed she was talking to her husband. A blue SUV pulled up next to her and then she yelled to her kids," Hey guys time to go!" They gathered together and walked away from the SUV to the parking lot on the other side of the playground. They eventually faded from view and I went back to practicing. A few minutes later, I noticed that the lady was leading her kids back towards the playground. A little confused, I thought,
"Hm, maybe she forgot something."
Yes. She did forget something. Remember the blue SUV that pulled up next to her? That was her car and in it was her husband. The SAME person she was talking to on her phone! Talk about ignorant. Not watching her kids and not even noticing a car... no I mean her OWN car pull up right next to her.

Cell phones are everywhere. Old people, young people, small people, big people, one fish, two fish... they all have phones. And one of the few things that annoy me are little kids with phone obsessions.
"I have an iPhone!"
Me: "Cool."
"Do you have a phone?"
I show my phone.
"Mines better. Oh wait my mom texted me."
I wait.
"When did you get yours?"
Me: "Um... like when I was in 8th grade."
"Really? That's weird. I got mine when I was seven."
Well you know what little kid? Not everyone is as rich as your parents. ARGH!

Cell phones are convenient. I'll agree with that. You can stay in touch with your friends very easily. But it escalated to something so much more. Now people can be alone without ever being alone. They are never alone. People use their phones so much that they redefine what being lonely means. Well let me clarify something. Being alone does NOT mean lonely.... ok... done ranting.

Random news of the day: On the KLOVE radio station, I heard a very interesting story. It turned out in Flint, Michigan, a group of people stole 200 manhole covers from the city. They can be sold $20 apiece for scrap metal but cost $200 to be replaced. Nice.

That's all I have for you guys today. So stay tuned for the blue power blogger's post because she's fantabulous.

-June

No comments:

http://thepowerbloggers.hostingtribe.com/google90989bed784256d0.html