Thursday, July 3, 2008

Give Me A Dime, And I'll Give You a Rhyme

And so today's post begins,
With a form of poetry written in twins.

These couplets of very lovely lines,
Don't get complicated with gays kissing in a commercial of Heinz.

No, they are far simpler and more profound,
Though granted, today's poem is not you going to confound.


So perhaps you've discovered what I want to share with you today. For those of you a little slower, it's poetry. I love poetry. I find it smooth, soothing, euphoric, dramatic, and above all- fun.

You may wonder why I bring up something so often killed and grilled to death in any Literature class. Then perhaps, you should re-read the sentence prior. We've been exposed to some great poetry, but let's face it- we aren't taught how great of a tool of expression poetry is. I, fortunately for me, found on my own how to truly enjoy writing poetry, and I'm not talking about that crap rhyming scheme from third grade with cheesy rhymes. No, I speak of something far more eloquent and in a sense, free.

Perhaps, instead of explaining poetry to you, I can show you my own, to inspire you to express yourself as I've done. Or, at the very least, let me showcase some of my favorite poems- either way, you have no choice- I'm the one writing here, and it seems as if you're still reading!

So, with a little introduction, I present my roots of poetry for this year, if you will. This poem (COMPLETELY UNINSPIRED BY ANYONE, I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH) is completely in French. Naturally, the idea struck me in French class and I began writing. The rhyming is in French, so perhaps, after reading the translation, you should try and read aloud the poem to get an idea of the rhyming- even if you sound foolish, you'll appreciate the rhymes.

Without further ado, I present Mon Cœur (My Heart).

Mon Cœur (Mon ♥)

Mon cœur,
Sans ce douleur,
Serait plein de couleur,
Et de l'humour.

Mon Amour,
Sans toi - cœur lourde,
Tu me manque chaque jour,
Et quand je te vois, c'est trop court.

Mais, quand tu me vois,
Tu me donne pas une choix,
Que, quoi-ce-sois,
Je peux jamais vivre sans toi.


My Heart (My ♥)


My Heart,
Without this pain/sadness,
Would be full of color,
And of humor/happiness.

My Love,
Without you - heart heavy,
I miss you each day,
And when I see you, it is too short.

But, when you see me,
You give me no choice,
That, whatever-should-happen,
I can never live without you.


So yep.. that's poem number one, that inspired me to write more and more. The next poem was actually inspired by someone, two someones, in fact, but they shall remain nameless. Enjoy.

A Sideways Glance

A sideways glance
started it all
A sideways glance
and the walls began to fall
A sideways glance
set sparks in their eyes
A sideways glance
is a causal sweep so sly
A sideways glance
vocalizes what was thought
A sideways glance
was once just
a sideways glance
but now it is not.



The third and final poem I give you is entitled The Twelve Year Tunnel and was dedicated to all of 2008's graduating seniors.

The Twelve Year Tunnel

We hold our breath
As we plunge into the tunnel
A game we all play
As kids

Our parents drive us through
Until the end
Discussing the road and reminiscing to times when they played
As kids

When we began the game
At the start of the tunnel
We never knew how long it would take to clear it
As kids

But twelve years later
Our class looks around
Throws their hats in the air and releases their breath
As adults.



So, I hope my poetry had inspired you to express yourself,
For how wonderful would it be for you to reach up on that shelf,
And grab and exercise your creative side,
And use words to come out with nothing to hide.

- Jonathan

1 comment:

More of the worst said...

These are really good.
I'm glad you shared them with us.
=]

http://thepowerbloggers.hostingtribe.com/google90989bed784256d0.html