Thursday, February 5, 2009

Religion- 'Nuff Said.

I began writing this post on Monday, after reading what Brianna posted. After reading what she wrote, I felt compelled to write, if not in response, then along the same lines.

Religion. It's an eight letter that evokes just about every possible feeling. It can stir the coarse sands of contempt and at the same time inspire the greatest senses of achievement. In some of my constituents is a very important part of their life. In others, such as myself, it is little more than a word and a theme in history. My religious constituents tell me how great it is to believe in a god and know that there is an afterlife.

Do I function differently? Am I not as whole, not as enriched as my friends? Do I not share many of the same feelings they share? They explain the sense of fullness they feel after coming in contact with their holy spirit as if it's something I'm missing out on; however, I am very familiar with this sensation: it is the same feeling when I make a connection that was not explained to me, particularly in the field of biology. When I made the connection between the immunosuppressant chemotherapy drugs and how and why Neulasta (pegfilgrastim- the white cell booster drug) work. I feel exhilarated and a sense of awe fills me when I learn about immunology. Who is to tell me that this isn't the same feeling as presence of their gods is in their souls?

I don't believe that whatever your personal beliefs are, you're right and what you think will happen will come true, anymore. I don't believe that Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Satanists, or any other religion, except atheism, is right. For the sake of peace and, more frankly, my ear, I will not go after my friends and tell them, systematically, why I do not believe in whatever they have the rights to belive in. I will not tell them that they are misguided or that they are wrong. I will tell them, straight up, that I do not believe in what they believe. Much like my contituents, if you feel any compulsion toward atheism, and want to talk to someone about it, I am here to talk.

Finally, I want to make it clear that I don't harbor any feelings of distrust, contempt, or any other "negative" feeling towards any of my religious friends. Now that I have made myself clear, I should hope that you will respect my choice not to believe in any god and not comment to this post with offerings of council should I change my mind. I'm quite sure I won't, but if I do (god forbid) then I think it's something my deity and I can workout together. Furthermore, flame responses because you disagree with me will not be tolerated. I have come with nothing more than peace and an explanation of my beliefs and how they may be not so far off from your own.

Peace.
- Jonathan

No comments:

http://thepowerbloggers.hostingtribe.com/google90989bed784256d0.html