Saturday, June 20, 2009

What a Morbid Week...

The controllers went "click click click" as buttons were pressed and triggers were pulled. June squeezed the right trigger and his soldier responded with a hail of bullets. After a few minutes, the round was over and June sat back and relaxed.
"It's been a pretty morbid week for me," said June.
Daniel, eyes never leaving the screen, responded, "Yeah, Phil's uncle died and I went to his funeral a few days ago.
June raised an eyebrow and replied, "You too?"
Brendon laughed and said, "It also made Daniel think he's immortal."
"What? How'd that happen?" asked June.
"Well... If it was an open casket then I wouldn't have thought I was immortal," said Daniel.
"Hah, yeah because if Daniel saw the dead body, he would have realized his mortality," laughed Brendon.
"True..." said Daniel.

If more than anything else, this week was the most saddening week in my life. He died, she died, and it kept on coming. I didn't need to see a dead body to realize my mortality. Along with death came a ton of inspiration for new songs but I kept that on hiatus out of respect. What I want to talk about is the idea we all asked ourselves at least once in our lives: "What if I died right now? People would start talking good about me and they would miss me." Now the only reason I start on this is because a friend of mine actually came up to me and asked me this.
"I'll die right now and you'll be sorry that you were ever mean to me!"
I didn't have a proper response because I hardly cared at the time and I was almost at my destination. She already gave me this lecture several times so I wasn't ignoring someone who was having serious thoughts of suicide. Seriously, I'm not that cold. But now I have an answer for her.

Life is but a vapor. You could die in a few years, weeks, months....weeks....days....hours....minutes....seconds.....now. I don't know about you but life is very precious. It's a chance, it's an opportunity, it's an influence. Now think about suicide; the easy way out. I bet all of you guys reading this had at least one time where you considered suicide. Don't deny it. "The world might be a better place without me." Is that really true?
I've grown way past that phase now. I met some awesome people that changed my life and helped me broaden my perspective on this matter.
I highly doubt anyone is thinking about the world when they think "the world would be a better place without me". More than likely, it's all about you. Let's look at what my friend said to me back then:
"What if I died right now? People would start talking good about me and they would miss me."
Me, me, me, me. So where's the world in all this? It's actually seems extremely selfish to me. Back in the day, the more I thought of this, the more I realized that I wouldn't make anything better, but rather make everything worse. Look at how many hearts that would break from your death, look at how much people value you alive, look at the sadness. There would be no joyfulness from a suicidal death. Even if it's your joy, you wouldn't even be around to enjoy it. At the cost of your life, you ruin someone else's life.

To the person who told me that death would bring you happiness, this is my response.

-June

No comments:

http://thepowerbloggers.hostingtribe.com/google90989bed784256d0.html