Saturday, June 14, 2008

Books and Movies

Hey guys. I didn't know that my topic last week would influence so many other posts. I feel so special =D. Well anyway, I want to talk about the book choices that our AP Lang teachers chose for us. These books include Catalyst, Ellen Foster, Unwind, The Color of Water, Kite Runner, and The Astonishing Life of Octavian. I've read some of Kite Runner before when I was younger and I did NOT like some of the stuff in the book. So here are some minor spoilers for people who do not know what any of these books include:


1. Catalyst: Typical smart girl spazzing over college choice. Traumatizing event happens and it ruins someone's life.

2.Ellen Foster: Girl sexually abused by her alcoholic father. Enough said.

3.Unwind: Parents condemn their child to death. An intended rape is foiled.

4.The Color of Water: Book about the struggles of prejudice.

5. Kite Runner: Book describing the situation in Afghanistan and the Taliban.

Now I would like to ask the teachers why choose these kinds of books? I'm not saying these books are bad because Kite Runner and Catalyst are really good books but what are the teachers trying to tell us? Maybe they cut out all the kids' books and are telling us," Hey you guys are old enough now. Let's show you what the world really looks like." Still, I think these are some very weird choices and I wish to know why Mrs. Jordan (AP Lang teacher) chose these books.

Now onwards to the movies! The most recent movies that came out are The Happening and The Incredible Hulk. Based on two radio stations and the site rottentomatoes.com, these movies aren't the best ones that came out. For you squeamish people, both of these movies have a large body count so go see Horton Hears a Who for a better experience. Starting with The Happening, this movie got a 20% on the site and many of the people say it was a huge let down. "Unintentionally hilarious... there is a difference between plain nasty and plain ridiculous... gives the Wayan brothers a reason to make Scary Movie 5..." The Incredible Hulk got a better rating of 64%. "The Marvel people got so excited about Iron Man that they left out some of the finer details of The Hulk.... incredible action...." Yeah pretty much. Is it just me or are the movies getting worse and worse? Well that's all I got for you guys today so stay tuned for the blue power blogger's post. Though I won't be here to read it because I'm going to North Carolina for 3 days. Well have a good rest of the day/night/week/month/year/life!

No comments:

http://thepowerbloggers.hostingtribe.com/google90989bed784256d0.html