Thursday, June 26, 2008

If You Want Something Done, You've Got To DO IT YOURSELF

Today marks this blog's first month! Happy 1st Month, the Power Bloggers!


So, that being said, let me go ahead and get my little introduction out of the way here so that we may have a more uninterrupted post.


I'm Jonathan. I'm pretty stable, have a rarely benevolent tyrant for a father and a mother everyone loves. I have one amazing cat, Artemis, and one resilient turtle, Tonks. I'm an Eagle Scout. I cook and bake better than you do. I play the piano, violin, and guitar. I make things, more specifically, I make DIY (Do It Yourself) things. I love renewable energies like solar and wind power because I love the idea of making my projects self sustaining and not tethered to a power cord. I regularly watch TV shows I'm not proud to say I watch due to their immaturity. But above all, I cannot stand uncooked baby/cherry tomatoes.


That being said, I want to introduce my latest DIY project that some of you may be already familiar with- a treehouse. See, a lot of us in the area have decided that, this summer, we're going to build ourselves what out parents had long put off and denied us. We're not going to wait any longer. This is going to be built and it's going to be amazing, because we'll have built it! Visit the link for more information or join our FaceBook group.


Many people have asked me why I've suddenly been sucked into the world of doing it yourself, and I have to say I can't pin the answer down completely. It seems as if the most appealing thing about it is that you learn far more by building your object that purchasing it. You're also far more qualified to fix it should it break as so many gadgets and contraptions tend to do. Plus, often overlooked, is the fact that you can customize whatever you're building to your exact needs. Try doing that with many of the things you buy prefabricated. However, what could be the most alluring facet of DIY projects is that when it's done- when your project is complete, you have something to be proud of. This is yours. You made it. It works and you know why. And, of course, you can get your ego stroked a little when people exclaim things like, "You made that? HOW?!" or "That is such a clever idea!". But who's in for it for the pride anyway?


It's a sense of accomplishment. Don't you want it? I do.


- Jonathan

No comments:

http://thepowerbloggers.hostingtribe.com/google90989bed784256d0.html