Sunday, June 15, 2008

Murder

Hey everyone! This is Erica, filling in for the blue power blogger. This is actually my first time blogging, and the past few days I've been thinking a lot about what to write. I thought maybe I could write about my trip that I'm on right now, but then I thought, no, that's not that interesting. So I thought and thought. And since the internet here is not that great, I was so worried that the internet would flake out and I would be the first one to ruin the power bloggers streak, but here I am, writing it! Hooray!

Although you don't know this, I have been sitting here for quite some time thinking about what to write. At first I thought I'd write about tatooes, then I thought it wasn't that great of a topic, or it might stir up some discussion. In order to stop discussions or arguments, I thought I'd write about something funny and entertaining, but I don't have a funny story really. I keep glancing up at the TV trying to find some inspiration, but everything is in Spanish. Little did I know, I have been getting inspiration just by looking at the tv. Although this topic has been discussed, and possibly overused, it is the only thing on my mind right now. Television.

Last night, I was watching this show called Dexter. I had no idea what was going on, so I did a quick search on good old Wikipedia. What the article said slightly scared me. "Set and produced in Miami, the series centers on Dexter Morgan, a serial killer who works for the Miami Metro Police Department as a blood spatter analyst." Interesting, right? Well, apparently his adoptive father taught him to channel his desire to kill by killing people who deserve it. Perfectly normal.

It kind of reminded me of the book our book circle in English read, And Then There Were None. *Spoiler Alert* The killer gathered up 9 other people to come to this secluded island and, following a poem title Ten Little Indians, he kills them all. This is the poem:
Ten little Indian boys went out to dine; One choked his little self and then there were nine.
Nine little Indian boys sat up very late; One overslept himself and then there were eight.
Eight little Indian boys traveling in Devon; One said he'd stay there and then there were seven.
Seven little Indian boys chopping up sticks; One chopped himself in halves and then there were six.
Six little Indian boys playing with a hive; A bumblebee stung one and then there were five.
Five little Indian boys going in for law; One got into Chancery and then there were four.
Four little Indian boys going out to sea; A red herring swallowed one and then there were three.
Three little Indian boys walking in the zoo; A big bear hugged one and then there were two.
Two Little Indian boys sitting in the sun; One got frizzled up and then there was one.
One little Indian boy left all alone; He went out and hanged himself and then there were none.

For example, for the first one, the man who dies is drinking some drink, scotch maybe, and suddenly starts choking. Turns out he was poisoned with cyanide. And the reason this connects with Dexter is the murderer killed all these people because they also were murderers, but there was no proof they had done anything wrong. For example, one couple were caretakers for an elderly sick woman and they were supposed to give her pills everyday, and one day, they didn't! Hence, the woman died, but they couldn't arrest her.

Ok, I think that's it for now. But before I leave, I'd like to say one thing, murder is wrong. Don't do it, even if you have the need to kill. Goodbye everyone and thanks for letting me write!

1 comment:

Viv said...

Haha, thanks for the moral advice Erica! I've been struggling with that one. I heard about that show from Hunter and it sounds so weird, I wish I could watch it.

http://thepowerbloggers.hostingtribe.com/google90989bed784256d0.html