Sunday, June 29, 2008

Otters and Rednecks


Hello, blue powerblogger here, back from a two week vacation!! First of all, I'd like to thank my fill-ins, Erica and Blair, who gave up their time to make sure the powerbloggers didn't miss a day of the week. Thanks a million!!!

That being said, here's a little information about myself. I am 5'1, and that's pretty much going to be my maximum height. I'm really hyper most of the time, I love to sing and dance and be crazy, and I am a Mario Kart master. I can be pretty skeptical, I am a control freak, a perfectionist, and I'm fairly certain that I suffer from some form of OCD.

So these past few weeks, I have been in Blairsville, Georgia. Its a small town with absolutely nothing to do and its filled with rednecks. And on top of all that, there aren't any good restaurants because its a dry county (no alcohol allowed). My grandparents live on a little mountain, and my grandpa bought part of the mountain "across the street" and deeded land to each of his seven children to build mountain homes on. My house is located in the middle, with two tiny cottages below it and two mega-log cabins above, all belonging to my aunts and uncles.

This week, my cousins went to Washington D.C, so my family is the only one on the mountain. Yesterday, my parents planned a little picnic at Vogel State Park. Unfortunately, when we arrived, it started raining. Since both putt-putt golf and paddleboating are dangerous to do during a thunderstorm, we ate our lunch under a covered picnic area and then decided to wait out the storm. During our wait, we went to the little store in the park. My sister and I were looking around and I spotted the most hilarious looking stuffed animals peeking out from a shelf. They were otters, and they were only $2.75!!!! My sister and I HAD to buy them, OBVIOUSLY. We got two, one for each of us, and named them Frito and Dorito. We are thinking about going back and rescuing their four brothers and sisters, but we couldn't come up with enough rhyming names. Right now we have Cheeto and Neato. Feel free to make suggestions for more names.

Once we purchased our otters, the rain had let up and we went paddle boating. Doing that worked up a sweat, so my sister and I went swimming in the lake. It was during this time that we witnessed some very redneck things. Everyone had twangy accents, one lady had a mullet, and some girl yelled out to the entire park, basically, "I'm gonna go POOP!" It made me appreciate the fact that I am not actually from Georgia, and that I only vacation there. My sister and I were certainly the most proper people there.

I can't wait to go back to an actual city, with all my non-redneck friends!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Burito and Chiquito :)

erica said...

taco and waco

http://thepowerbloggers.hostingtribe.com/google90989bed784256d0.html