Wednesday, June 18, 2008

No Logic to Human Behavior

I was watching the Colbert Report last week, when I saw a guy talking about vertical farming. It turns out this is one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen. Yes, it might be impractical, but it’s just so awesome! Plants are actually built inside of buildings within city limits using hydroponics (nutrient solutions instead of soil).

Yeah, maybe I’m not sure how this will actually produce enough food to make a significant impact, and it might consume a lot of energy to provide enough light for the plants, and I’m sure there are hundreds of other logistical problems I haven’t even thought about, but it’s so pretty, gorgeous in fact. Something that was previously so untamed and unruly will become sleek and modern. Some people see things like this and complain, wondering what the world’s coming to. I hope it’s just the beginning.
Look at it, isn't it beautiful?
Here's the website - http://www.verticalfarm.com/


On a completely unrelated topic, I started watching Bjork videos again this week and I had completely forgotten what I was missing. Even if you’re not a fan of Bjork, these videos are very entertaining. There’s a video to match every mood too: angry Bjork, happy Bjork, sad Bjork, dreaming Bjork, pensive Bjork, even naked Bjork. So I’ve decided to recommend some of them.

Violently Happy- Do NOT watch this video, it’s bad, really bad. A waste of your time and you probably won’t watch the rest of them. I know this technically isn’t a recommendation, I just wanted to warn you.

Human Behavior- I love this one, it’s so cute! I think this was her first video as a solo artist, and it basically describes what Bjork’s like in a nutshell.

Oceania- This song is great. It’s about evolution from the point of view of the ocean, and in the video Bjork personifies the water. There’s not really a plot or anything to the video, but it’s beautiful.

Wanderlust- Her latest video, but still utterly Bjork. It reminds me of The Neverending Story, or The Dark Crystal with extremely updated equipment (June, you should probably skip this one, there’s…. awkward moments).

Pagan Poetry- I probably shouldn’t even mention this one as there’s a strong chance none of you will like it (actually there’s a strong chance you won’t like any of them) but it’s so beautiful I had to include it. It’s about a bride preparing herself for her wedding day. You also might want to skip this one if you don’t like piercings.

And Bri, I was in the airport on Monday, and I saw a little girl wearing a superman cape and I thought of you. Just thought I’d let you know

-Viv

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw that Colbert Report episode! Not going to lie, I was a little skeptical about vertical farming, but it is beautiful... and I'm sure those logistical issues will work themselves out. As for the Bjork videos, I'm fine with piercings, so I think I'm going to check out that video. :)

http://thepowerbloggers.hostingtribe.com/google90989bed784256d0.html