Monday, December 22, 2008

A Slightly Cynical Christmas

My family every year does a couple of things to prepare us for Christmas. So let me tell you about the Rosier Christmas.

If you know my family, or even if you only know me, you know that we make fun of pretty much everything. So it's become sort of a family tradition, that every year we'd go around and look at Christmas lights. We pick out the tackiest and declare every bad thing about it. It's quite enjoyable.

Then we make about a million sugar cookies. After frosting these and proceeding to put them on plates, we take them to a ton of families. After spending all day making the cookies, we don't look forward to driving around for multiple hours to give cookies to people we barely know, but happen to live near us. It usually involves a lot of complaining, and at some point at least one plate is dropped and ruined.

Probably one of my favorite parts of the holidays is when we read the Christmas story from the Bible. You see, a certain member of our family, we'll not name names but you can probably guess, reads really badly out loud. And after we proceeded to mock her reading, or attempt to cut her out of it all together, she storms off angrily.

But that is the whole dynamic of my family. We're all kind of jerks, but we're also pretty close.

I remember this one year, when we used to still get up at three and wait excitedly for our parents to wake up, we sat around the tree with the lights on. After that we got out our "Santa present", which happened to be a playstation that year, and started playing. I never really believed in Santa by the way, my sisters killed the chances of that when I just grasped the idea of him. But anyway, that year was one of the best times I can remember, Christmas or not. I mean I probably have another opportunity to get up so early with my sisters and enjoy the wonder that is Christmas morning. It's simple, but it's one of my happiest memories.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas.

And for those Jewish people out there...and Ryan...happy first day of Hanukkah!

-Brianna

No comments:

http://thepowerbloggers.hostingtribe.com/google90989bed784256d0.html