Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Ecological Antibiotic Cake

Oh, you've never heard of the ecological antibiotic cake? Well, DUH. I haven't invented it yet!

When asked what I want to do when I grow up, I shudder. Typically, we have some idea of what we want to do. I, on the other hand, have three ideas. Oh, did I mention they are all completely different? Hmm, perhaps I should break it down for you:


1. The "Right" Answer
Alright, alright, there is no "right" or "wrong" career choice, but going into medicine certain seems like it's the safest and most respectable choice. When I tell adults that I want to be some sort of physician or research biologist their chests swell and they pat me on the back, encouraging me with that choice with stuff like, "Oh, you're just like your parents," or "I knew you'd chose something hard- like the challenge, eh?! Har har har!" To be honest, I really like biology. I am fascinated by immunology and how our body reacts to bacteria and viruses, creating antibodies and knowing exacty where and when to attack. It honestly makes me giggle with giddiness. I'm weird, I know, but it makes me happy! The thing is.. I don't know if I'm cut out to be a doctor. You need good grades and to have like no life for 10 years before you can work for money. It sounds pretty daunting.

2. The "Dream" Answer
Some people have dreams and aspire to be a head chef, but these, the consensus is, are long-shots. Those one-in-a-million chances that really only have to do with connections with the family or chance encounters. I love to cook. I really do- it's relaxing and fun. It's also not something many of my friends are good at (sorry guys!). But it's something I'm good at. Genuinely. Perhaps the only thing I like more than stovetop cooking is baking and pastry. I'm a damn good baker! But my specialty has to be pastry, what with all the cake decorating I do. But see, the catch is that it's a tough life- the work is tough enough, but the pay is dismal- and I hate to say it, but I'm shallow enough that I want an very comfortable lifestyle. And, honestly, it doesn't take much education to be a baker/chef, so all of these AP classes? It'd be in vain.. So I don't think I want to be a baker/chef.

3. The "Crazy Hippi" Answer
It's no secret- I'm totally on the whole "Go Green!" thing. Heck- I wrote a post a month ago about it. The thing is- wind and solar energy are exciting to me. There's potential. It's renewable. It's really cool. I really can't rationalize it too well except to say that I'd love to have solar and wind systems of my own. It also ties in with my strong DIY streak- make your own energy. AWESOME. But see, here's the thing- that kind of energy is readily available out west, like in California. So I could get a job related to that tech and live like a lot of Californians- hey, I love California, it's beautiful. There's only one catch.. it's expensive. I don't know if I could make it. I hate to sound cynical, but I'm really just being realistic. Ugh. I hate reality.

So when it comes down to it, I really have to either invent an Ecological Antibiotic Cake that'll make me millions, or pick one. But I don't know which to pick, and honestly, college isn't coming any slower! So I don't know yet what to do. In the meantime, I'll take each semester, one at a time, and probably go into college studying for medicine. Should I decide that I get bored with it- I always have two crazy back up choices!

- Jonathan

No comments:

http://thepowerbloggers.hostingtribe.com/google90989bed784256d0.html