Monday, August 25, 2008

Superman's Apprentice

I went to a comic book store today. My mother promised to take me a while ago, and realizing she be in Utah for a week, decided we would go today. I've grown quite fond of comic books. They're short and enjoyable, and actually have some really good dialogue. And of course I love superheroes.

I would just like to explain my obsession with superheroes. I think my dad would have liked to have a boy. Instead he was blessed with the four greatest daughters on the entire planet. Now don't get me wrong, my father loves us, but he did all the father/son things with us. He taught us how to throw a baseball, and he taught us pain means nothing...just 'suck it up' as he would commonly say. Instead of watching what normal girls watched at our age, we watched Spiderman, Batman, The Power Rangers. So while other girls wanted to be princesses and live in castles, I wanted to be Superman and save the world. I always thought of my father as Superman, and wanted to be just like him.

As I grew older, I stopped caring so much about superheroes. When I realized they were not real, I found the magic of them gone. I went about doing what normal little girls should do (wait no I didn't I was a tomboy). I began to conform with the rest of my peers, as kids often do. When I reached 7th or 8th grade (I can't remember which) I realized that it was OK to be different. In fact I LIKED being different. I LOVED superheroes, even if was weird. I still wanted to BE one, because they do in fact EXIST! What a revelation this was to me! I knew then, why I liked them so much. It seemed so clear and perfect.

You see every superhero has something in common. They all risk everything they have to protect strangers, and each life is important to them. Often they are lonely because they have to give up the ones that mean the very most to them, just to protect them. They don't care about payment or glory. They have chosen to dedicate their lives to something much bigger than most people imagine. I think the greatest thing is that so many of them are freaks and aliens, that those they spend their time protecting hate them. But they do it anyway. And that's how I want to live my life. Like that of a superhero's. That is why I call my personal blog Superman's Apprentice.

Do they exist? Chances are, no. I liked to believe that there is a caped man flying around, protecting us silently. But I also like to believe that there are men and women who look just like us, protecting us silently.

So sorry if I get a little passionate when speaking about superheroes. I still think Superman is the best and will defend my position at almost any cost. Don't get me wrong, I love them all. And the rest are pretty much equal in my eyes after Superman (except Underdog!).

This week's theme is are superhero alter ego. I know I didn't write that, and I promise I will next week (I've spent my whole life coming up with it), but this week I felt I should post this. Also I didn't much sleep, so felt I wouldn't do much justice to the theme. It's sorta on theme right?

Yeah...

-Brianna

PS I keep forgetting! Hello to those in Germany! I haven't done that one yet, right?

No comments:

http://thepowerbloggers.hostingtribe.com/google90989bed784256d0.html