Thursday, August 21, 2008

What Are Friends For? All Sorts Of Useful Things!

What are friends for?

What a ridiculous question. Each year, I find that surviving high school is only possible with a healthy number of friends. The most interesting thing about friends is how useful they are. You can practically rely on one at any time of any day.

CASE: Two days ago, Rebecca Atkins and I decided to throw our mutual friend, Brianna Rhodes, a surprise party since we wouldn't have an opportunity to celebrate her birthday outside of school. Well, with no budget and time on the short side, I turned to FaceBook. From the number of people who said they would attend our impromptu party, I didn't suspect that this party was going to be very big; the number of people who said they could bring food was even less encouraging. But come today at lunch, I was shocked. A mass no fewer than 20 people had congregated to surprise Brianna Rhodes with heartfelt wishes of happiness. Half of them brought food and presents. I was touched. I could count on my friends to meet my expectations, but they exceeded them.

Who cheers you up when you're down about a class/test/quiz/assignment grade? Certainly not my parents, who demand to know why I did so badly before offering any sympathy! No, it is your friends who will poke fun at that teacher, show you their own bad grade, or offer a humorous anecdote until you crack a smile.

What your current boyfriend/girlfriend probably doesn't know is that a LOT of reconnaissance was done on they before you made your move. Chances are that your closer friends knew of your crush and carried out missions to find out plenty of information about them for you. Who else would do that for you?!

Where cheating is concerned, I've never copied any one's homework in my life (verbal irony!). I know of friends of friends who would help each other by providing help in a squeeze. However unethical it may seem, it is touching that one would help another in a time of need- whether it be that mad morning rush to finish that Spanish worksheet or speeding through 87 vocabulary study cards. Without these patron saints of good, how could one hope to survive when they fall behind?

When in need, you can generally count on atleast one friend for a ride to or from somewhere- I know I've had to! They are generous, loving people in your life that care for your well being and help you to what you need or want. They might as well be your parents!


Friends, as hard as they are to come by sometimes, are the pillars that hold me up. Without my friends, PowerBloggers or others, I don't know what I'd do.

- Jonathan

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jonathan. Where in your post is there a reference to robots???
(I was reading the labels)

Unknown said...

friends are like robots? no.....umm parents maybe? parents can be like robots!

http://thepowerbloggers.hostingtribe.com/google90989bed784256d0.html