Tuesday, August 5, 2008

music. . . .

When I was younger I would watch Disney movies all the time. One time when I was watching The Little Mermaid I had an epiphany and knew what I wanted to be when I grew up, a singer. Not that The Little Mermaid was one of my favorite movies, I just thought that I sounded extra good singing those songs.

I took up guitar, piano, and voice lessons so that I could be a singer. I soon realized though that my stage fright was going to be what brought me down. And now I'm just someone who is cynical and will probably end up at an everyday boring job. But that's life.

Even so, music has always been there for me.

I grew up in a pretty weird household. Music was no exception. My mom only listened to country music and my dad listened to oldies and some old rock. In my mom's car I would hear Faith Hill and The Dixie Chicks and Martina McBride. In my dad's car I would listen to The Animals and Diana Ross and the Supremes and Hall and Oates.

So when I was younger I just took in what was around me and there it was. I liked a mix of older music and country. And it was just plain weird. But I have to say, I guess it makes me who I am partly. And yes, this is about how it was until I was sixteen. Not that I didn't listen to other things but if you know anything about me, I had no control of my life until I was sixteen.

As soon as I could drive and I was in control of the music I became really interesting. I don't know how to describe my music taste. I have something for every mood. I love to listen to the 80s. This type was introduced to me by my babysitter when I was about seven I suppose. We'd be going somewhere and belting "Little Red Corvette" at the top of our lungs. (Which is actually super dirty.) And we listened to "Jessie's Girl" which is like one of my favorite songs now.

I have some old rock that's from my dad and some that he didn't really care for like Led Zeppelin. I would have to say I get along more with my dad's taste in music than my mom's, but there is some country that I don't mind. Sara Evans is a country singer and she has an amazing voice. Her first CD was the best though, in my opinion. Brad Paisley has some stuff that is hilarious and even though it's not something that I really listen to that much if I'm flipping channels on the radio and one of his songs is on like the one about how he's cooler online then no I probably won't change it.

I surprise a lot of people on this point. I don't dislike screamo, hard rock stuff. I like Disturbed especially "Down With the Sickness." I like "Lonely Day" by System of a Down, but I really like most of their stuff. They have this really cool version of the Link theme song thingy that's called "Legend of Zelda."

I also like some newer stuff like Augustana, Panic at the Disco, and The Shins. I don't really like rap more supposedly "cooler" stuff like that but I do like Usher's new song "Love in This Club."

Well it's that time. You all knew that it was coming (if you know me AT ALL.) I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE THE KILLERS!!!!!! They are the best band ever and I would listen to them anytime of any day. I will never get tired of them, they are that amazing.

I also love Modest Mouse because they are amazing. We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank is my favorite CD of theirs, but Good News for People Who Love Bad News was great too. "Dashboard" is one of the most carefree songs and I love it because of that. "Parting of the Sensory" and "Missed the Boat" are pretty much completely depressing and I love them for that. The band is just amazing.

"I'll Be Right Behind You Josephine," by Josh Woodward is an awesome song. It's like a mix of depression and intense love and it's great.

"Romeo and Juliet" was originally done by Dire Straits and it was one of my favorite songs that wasn't done by The Killers and then on their most recent album The Killers redid it as if it was a gift especially for me. It is a great song.

A song for every mood:

I like Nirvana. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is like one of the best songs ever. No it's not deep or anything but if I'm really mad thats like the perfect song for me to listen to. The Foo Fighters are pretty good too. They were formed by Dave Grohl who was in Nirvana originally after Nirvana came to an end. "The Pretender" is my favorite song of theirs.

I like Bright Eyes. "A Perfect Sonnet" is a really great song and I like to listen to it sometimes when I'm in a mad slash sad mood, ya know? There's usually a guy involved.

I like "You and Me" by Lifehouse. I agree with Brianna this is like one of the best love songs EVER!!!

I like "Numb" by Linkin Park because sometimes that's the way my parents make me feel.

I like to listen to Prince when I'm in the car by myself because the dancing is too embarrassing for others to see.

I have to say when I wrote this post I didn't like it. And I still don't. Theres a quality to it that I actually hate. But alas I don't know what else to do.

I got a few quotes from people about music, so here they are:

"music is my life, totally and completely, i could never ever live without it; it helps me get through any crisis, its like another best friend" -Blair

"
i don't really know what to say about music. i just listen to it." -Jack

"Music isn't just refreshing, it's more of an escape from reality for a few moments, and end to end, those few moments are well lived." -Patrick

"To me music means being able to express everything..... your beliefs, your thoughts, and your dreams. Its a way to express your individuality without worrying what others think of you. Music allows the real you to come alive....." -Lyndssey

" actually
i really don't know what to say
I guess

i love music
It's an escape when I need it to be
it's a shelter when I have nowhere else to go
it's what keeps me sane
lol" -Shuyao

I hope you enjoyed.

-Lacey

PS I know this post is long and I'm sorry but you ask me to write about music what do you think you'll get.

I left out sadly but want to mention:

THE BEATLES!!!- Possibly the greatest band of all time.
"Sister Golden Hair" by America One of the best songs ever.
THE BANGLES!!! Who doesn't like "Manic Monday."
The Backstreet Boys- You know you listened to them. . . I was never an NSYNC girl.
The Cars- one of the influences of The Killers and also awesome
The Cure- LOVE LOVE LOVE "Just Like Heaven" Great band.
A FINE FRENZY- Okay one of my favorite female singers leads this band in their awesomeness. Check it out for real!!!
Fleetwood Mac- If I ever actually became a singer I'd audition with one of her songs. Probably "Dreams"
Paramore- "Misery Business" is the best mad at your boyfriend for cheating on you song. Like even if he hasn't . . . listen to it anyways.
The Sweeney Todd Soundtrack -It was amazing (shout out to Blair, because we sing it amazingly) and so was the Chicago soundtrack.

We will save elaborating on the wonder of the 80s for another post. Thank you and goodnite.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

even if you don't like this post, i really enjoyed it :)

Anonymous said...

hah, i've listened/sang along with the sweeney todd soundtrack way too many times.

http://thepowerbloggers.hostingtribe.com/google90989bed784256d0.html