Monday, August 18, 2008

My First Day

About a week ago, my mother told my sister and I she would go to work late so that she could cook breakfast for us on the first day of school. I told her she didn't have to, we could make our own breakfast. She said that she would take off the time anyway. I realized that she didn't care about making us breakfast. She just wanted to see us off on the first day of school.

This morning I walked outside to see mothers helping their little children into car. Backpacks and lunchboxes were lifted in the vechiles by small hands. The first day of school.

When I was a kid, my mom walked me into my classroom on the first day. She would always talk to my teacher explaining I was really shy, and to make sure to give me time before trying to talk to me. I may have been shy, but this really annoyed me. I wasn't like a stray dog or something. I remember how finally in the 4th grade I told her it would have to stop. I think this is the reason I associate humiliation with the first day of school.

Then of course there is the curse of older siblings. Are you Sapphire's sister? Are you Candace's sister? I had your sister! I hate that last one. I know you had my sister. Guess what, you're not the only one! I like it when they do those introduction things, just so I can separate myself from my sisters. No need for them to have high expectations for me.

Today was probably one of the best first days of school I have had yet. It would of been perfect, until my car wouldn't start and I was stuck for an hour trying to jump it.

And so the tradition of an awful first day of school continues...

-Brianna

No comments:

http://thepowerbloggers.hostingtribe.com/google90989bed784256d0.html