Monday, October 6, 2008

A Harry Potter Analysis

Over the past three weeks or so I've been re-reading the Harry Potter series. It's the only time I've ever read all the books consecutively, so it was quite an interesting experience. Most of you probably know my stance on Harry Potter, which is I was really annoyed with it by the fifth book. I'm not just talking about the books either; I mean the books, the movies, the merchandise, and the readers. Now that the Harry Potter fandom has died down (not disappeared just greatly lessened), I find it much easier to enjoy the books. Here is my view on a couple of things in the books. I guess I should put a spoiler alert for those who haven't read the books and still planning on it...which I'm pretty sure is no one. Ok here we go.

Books 1-4: Spectacular, I find very little faults in these books.

Harry and Cho: Ok, this relationship was a mess, but I feel like they didn't really give it much of a chance. Cho was being ridiculous throughout the book, with her crying. I mean sure her boyfriend died the year prior, but she shouldn't have gone out with Harry if that was going to be brought up constantly. Harry, on the other hand, was being an absolute jerk in book five and I can see why Cho was upset with him constantly. I think if the relationship took place in perhaps book six, it would have gone much smoother.

Harry and Ginny: I guess it's alright. I still think that's really weird.

Hermione and Ron: I know they were setting up for these two to get together all along, but I can help but feel like they don't really fit much together. I mean Hermione is so smart and Ron is so...oblivious, ridiculous, insensitive...the list goes on.

Neville: He easily became my favorite character in book five when he finally started to get some nerve. I think he is amazing. I'm glad they show him fighting until the very end, and I'm happy to see he received the sword of Gryffindor.

Luna: I have to wonder if everything she said was true. I mean loopy as she was, some things turned out to be real.

The Deaths: Hedwig was completely unnessary to kill off. Then there Remus and Tonks, that was so wrong after the had the baby. I think at least one of them should have survived. Fred? Understandable, one of the Weasleys had to die. Fred and Geroge were the most likable, and George had already lost an ear. So regardless that we would all have preferred Percy to die, Fred makes sense. Imagine how George must feel.

Snape: Poor Snape. Full of unrequited love. He was still an awful person, he would have stayed with Voldemort if Lily Potter had never been brought up. But you can't help but feel sorry for him.

The Epilogue: Crap!!!! She should of just left that out of the book.

After my re-read I feel the overall series is decent. Book five has some serious flaws but is still pretty good, while book six was just full of crap. But I think the finally book brought it all back together, and it turned out nicely. I will no longer consider myself anti-Harry Potter.

-Brianna

2 comments:

Unknown said...

sorry for bringing this up but it will bother me, small type:

"I mean sure here boyfriend died the year prior" from the Harry and Cho paragraph. please fix :)

Brianna said...

Fixed...sorry about that.

http://thepowerbloggers.hostingtribe.com/google90989bed784256d0.html