Thursday, January 8, 2009

What'll They Remember You By

Megan T. here, filling in for Jonathan (yeah, I spelled it right)

Ya cant walk anywhere in America (and I'm sure some other countries as well) or turn on your radio's to any station without hearing about Oprah Winfrey's controversial magazine cover. In this humble walk of ultimate shame, Oprah shows a picture of her some odd years ago, as compared to a recent picture of herself 40 pounds heavier. "I'm mad at myself. I'm embarrassed. I can't believe that after all these years, all the things I know how to do, I'm still talking about my weight. I look at my thinner self and think, "How did I let this happen again?" says the befuddled O.

I've got an answer for you Oprah, you let yourself get fat again because you freakin' ate too much and didn't exercise enough! I think that this is the most ridiculous thing circulating around mouths today. If Oprah thinks that her problem is her love handles or her "jiggly" butt, then that's even more sad. When you eat, and sit, you let all of that food in your body turn to fat. I don't know about you O, but I learned this in like 3rd grade.

Some of you are probably wondering why I even say this, I'm not exactly a size zero myself, but it's not the 40 pound plight that aggravates me so much about Oprah, or that stupid cover, it's her constant struggle to change herself and to make her problems everyone else's. That really sets me off. If you want to change yourself, just do it, accept what you have done and make the decision to change. Creating this cover is not going to make losing that weight any easier. You did it to yourself, so you handle that mess on your own.

If you ask me the real problem is wanting to fit in with the rest of slim and trim Hollywood A- list celebrities and having low self esteem issues. Oprah is an example that the insecurities we have don't just disappear with age , or in O's case, fame. Sometimes it's hard to feel secure in yourself when crap like this occurs. What is Oprah trying to say, that gaining weight should shame you; make you want to take only face shots for photos like magazine covers until you finally admit that you're fat again?

O, this is how I see it, you are beautiful no matter what! You've come a long way from Mississippi. People are going to admire, love and respect you no matter what weight you may "just happen to reach". I think that strutting in front of that camera, and putting a full body shot of yourself with a title of "This is me, Deal with it" would show more class than trying to assure Americans that you can change your image. You don't have to change, you're Oprah!!

i love you powerbloggers!

megan (Morgan, we will never forget you)

No comments:

http://thepowerbloggers.hostingtribe.com/google90989bed784256d0.html